Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

1885 Burger Store + The Spot



Welcome to the year 1885! 

[1885 Burger Store] is a chain burger restaurant found in several locations around Taipei. One sunny afternoon, I met with my friend Johann at 1885. Neither of us had had burgers at this restaurant before, but we're both burger fans. 

          


Hi Johann!

Here's the lunch menu! The prices as you can see are not that bad! And they have "special priced meal of the day,"which can be good for people to try a variety of dishes if they eat at 1885 often. We went on a Thursday, so I ordered Chili Cheese Burger (with my favorite Jalapeños!


The Chili Cheese burger came out quite quickly! The presentation is decent; looks tasty to me!
Overall the burger tasted alright; however, the hamburger meat fell apart after biting through half of the burger. I don't think the meat was prepared correctly, because a good burger holds itself together. This burger, although topped with good quality toppings, fell apart because of the meat, which is the essential part of the meal!


 Johann ordered a brunch meal (although I didn't catch the name). She enjoyed it. No complaints here!

All in all, 1885 was a decent burger restaurant. I think the food could have better, and the service was a bit negligent (the menu boasts free refills, but it doesn't mention your server doesn't really ever come check to see if you need a refill). It took a few times to get a server to come and get a refill for my coke zero. You could argue that maybe I shouldn't drink so much soda, but I could just say I love my coke zero, so back off!

Websitehttp://1885burgerstore.com/
Address: 台北市松山區南京東路三段303巷6弄10號
Taipei City, Songshan District, Nanjing East Road, Sec. 3, Alley 303, Ln. 6, No. 10 (there is more than one location)
Telephone: 02 2717 0338 (No reservations needed)
_______________________________________________________________________________

The SPOT! 


Once a week, I like to meet my friend, Nicole (who I have introduced before in the article about helping out at the elementary school) for an afternoon tea, where we sit at the table and work on our respective stuff. We chose to meet at Zhongshan station's 『The Spot』, a cafe built in the former American Consulate in Taipei. Around the corner from MRT Exit 4, you will see a Victorian, Southern US style building (which sticks out like a sore thumb in the middle of Taipei buildings.) It is surrounded by a relatively large yard, which is well-kept. The venue has actually been used by people (like celebrity Chang Chen) for weddings. My roommate, Vanessa, has asked me and Nicole to tell her future fiancé (who doesn't exist yet) that she wants him to pop the question at this location.


The front entrance


There is a cafe and a store selling fun little trinkets on the first floor. On the second floor, there is a small exhibition room and a theater that holds showings for artsy fartsy movies.


My lovely friend, Nicole, deciding on what to drink

Full house! Nice and clean interior design. I like the seats as well.


Here is the menu: front


And back.

I highly recommend 『The Spot』to anyone who wants to relax at a cafe and have a good chat with friends. The atmosphere is nice, although it can get quite busy so it might not be the quietest of cafes. I didn't try the food this time, but the drinks were well done so you don't have to worry it's a cafe where things look better than they taste! 

Websitewww.spot.org.tw/
Address: 台北市中山北路二段18號 
Taipei City, Zhongshan District, Zhong Shan North Road Sec. 2, No. 18 (Around the corner from Zhongshan MRT Exit 4)
Telephone02 2511 7786 (you may need a reservation during busy times ie. weekends)


Scores: (Out of 10)
1885 BURGER STORE : ****** (6) Fix those burger patties!
The SPOT: ******** (8) Nice, interesting cafe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment