Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Volunteering at the Food Bank

One day, I decided that I wasn't doing enough for the community. I wanted to make a change in my life and do more selfless things, so I called up my good friend Nicole and we met up to discuss some things we could do to help the community. We looked online for volunteer opportunities and found one for a food bank. Without much thought, we both signed up for the contact list. A few weeks later, we received a call telling us they needed help collecting food at an elementary school. STOKED!

So today, early morning 7:00AM (I don't think I've gotten up this early in years) Nicole and I woke up in our respective homes (after grogglng a "good morning" wake-up call to each other) and we met up in Zhongxiao Xinsheng MRT at 8:00AM. We were to meet at RenAi Elementary at 8:30AM, which was a 2 block walk away from the Luzhou MRT station.

After a quick breakfast at 7-11, we arrived at the school around 8:30AM. It was a moderately small-sized school, but we could already hear the joy and laughter of children from the outside. I knew instantly I was going to enjoy the volunteering. Nicole, as you can see, probably was quite excited as well:

Don't worry, the bike was not harmed


So, after getting past security and taking some selfies, we got to the location where they were collecting food
and there were children EVERYWHERE! Well, it was an elementary school, but I mean, there were tons of children willing to help this cause! Actually, some children had no idea what was going on and would even ask us, "what's this for?" in which we responded, "to help families in need!"
They seemed satisfied with that answer, and would leave with big, proud smiles.
"Who hasn't received a "thank you" card from us?" We thanked each kid with a thank you card. If we tried to give two, they would say, "I already got one!" or "Can I have another one for my friend?" haha. Children are so sweet

Nicole, passing out Thank you cards


Modeling with our glorious purple vests


So children were told to bring what foods they thought people would like to eat, or foods that they liked themselves and would like to share with others. We received foods from rice, noodles, canned foods, to cookies, candy, and oatmeal. Below is an example of how we would put the foods in boxes. 


The collection is growing!


That's me, packing the boxes


So the organization is called "Andrew Food Bank" and if you're interested in looking up info (which you should! They need the helping hand!) go to their Facebook fan page:
Or look below for other info on the poster!


We grabbed a kid going to class to take a selfie with us. LOL

The organization poster

                                                            Hot day! but fun day!
Look at that sweat! That's real MAN sweat!


A lot of rice! After all the collecting and packing, it was time to bring all the foodstuffs to the van. I definitely got a work out because we definitely collected about 30-40 boxes worth of food! Excellent!


Thank god we had that trolley!


Banner

The "Thank you" card


Interacting with the kids and telling them how to put the food in the boxes.



"Here's your thank you card! Thanks for your kindness and donation!:




I think we live in an ever-growing society where we reside too long in the cyber world of the internet and smartphones, that we start to become naturally insensitive for the needs of others around us. That's why Nicole and I decided it was time we did more selfless things. I hope I can encourage others to do the same because I really think with the strength of more people, we can do more good for this society. A lot of people complain "what has this world come to," so, if you really have a problem with it, then be more proactive and go out there and do something about it! Volunteer!!!!

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I just discovered your blog on accident while looking at a friend's blog about Taiwan. I was surprised that it was in English. It was an interesting read but you should update more. I'll have to ask you for recommendations next time I visit family in Taiwan. (I'm in the states currently)

    ReplyDelete