Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Air Pollution Level Death

So APPARENTLY, Monday and Tuesday, Hong Kong had an air pollution level of 500+. That's just gross! The 100-200 range is already considered severe, so you can see why everyone was feeling nauseous and sick those two days. I had a splitting headache on my right temple. With pollution at that level, I'm glad I didn't grow an extra arm or something. hahaha. Well, this is a blog post about my weekend. Not terribly exciting, but here GOES:


I use to go to Baron's School of Music and they were nice enough to invite me to their Music Composition interest session. Although it was all in Cantonese and I only understood about 60% of what was being said, it was still inspiring. Victor Tse was my Music Composition last year, and is willing to help me develop the songs I have started writing. I'm extremely grateful of his help! Nice guy and great teacher. If you're in Hong Kong and want to learn to write music, Victor is your guy!
For those of you that don't know, the Filipino population is quite large in Hong Kong because a lot of them work as house-keepers for Hong Kong residents. On weekends, these workers usually have their off days and they gather in parks with friends and eat, drink, laugh, sing, dance, playing cards, and just have a good time. It's really fun walking through these parks to see all of them enjoying their days off and being able to be themselves!
I went for Baron School's A capella group auditions, and look who's on TV! hahaha. I was invited to sing at an expo last month, so they had taken footage.
After the auditions, I met up with my friend, Uncle Jeff (the Taiwan Director General: Bureau of Hong Kong Affairs) and went to his house in Mid-Levels. His home is gorgeous and has a great view and his wife, Aunt Joanny, made a nice lobster dinner. I picked a good night to go! haha
View of Hong Kong island from the top of their apartment. A bit foggy, but still a great view
On Monday, I was supposed to meet up with Toby at 4:00, but she ended up having to go to the doctors because she had an eye infection (with puss and everything!) and so I went to the gym to workout some more after personal training and while going to the gym on the subway, I saw a lady's necklace. It gave me inspiration to make a necklace for myself in the same format as her's so with the extra time after working out and before meeting up with Toby, I decided to go to Sham Shui Po. This place is a mecca for hand-crafts and anything that you need to do-it-yourselfness. It's a bit disorganized, but that's the fun part about making your own shit. You gotta explore and come across the treasures that will help you make your creations!
The busy streets of Sham Shui Po. Aside from the typical stores, there are street vendors, each selling their specialties from shoe laces to batteries to custom-LED signs for concerts.
Beads, beads, and more beads. Any color and style you need for a very cheap price.
Honestly, everything you need and don't even realize you need is available in Sham Shui Po
Meeting up with Toby and her friend Cheese (yes, like the food and yes, she likes to eat Cheese), we went to eat Japanese food. This is what I got, and it was delicious! Pork Ramen, miso Soup, Rice, Teriyaki Beef and Seaweed Salad. mmm Mmm and not a bad price of 48HKD! ~$7USD
Toby and Cheese shopping in Temple Street. I came here only once before. That time, after looking at a vendor selling fake bread (honestly) I walked away laughing about it and my friend behind me overheard the owner saying, while pointing at me "That guy must be a "duck" [in Cantonese, that stands for "Male Hooker"] -____- Do I honestly give off that vibe?!?!
Well, Temple Street is very lively at night. Great place to buy touristy goods, accessories, Hong Kong snacks, underwear, clothes, and sex toys.....
Man selling belts of all sizes and styles. Every vendor sells a specific item. If you come to Hong Kong, you have to come take a look here! Get off the Yau Ma Tei MTR exit towards Temple Street and be ready to bargain!
Cheese checking out the rings. Picking out one you like out of 81571 rings gave me a headache, I didn't even try.
Corner of Temple Street. Shows you how random it is. Some vendors are just people laying items on towels.
After some shopping, I accompanied Cheese and Toby to a Thai psychic. It takes 3 weeks to get on this psychic's list because he's really popular and is very accurate (according to many). I even bumped into my landlord there! He asks for your birthdate and with numbers, he tells you your fortune with a weird number system. He even asks for your telephone number and supposedly that tells you your fortune too..... I didn't get that part, but hey, it's always worth a listen, right? Whether you believe it, it's up to you, but it doesn't hurt to hear your "future." I didn't get my future read because I didn't book an appointment, but the guy looked at me and said "you should take that mole off" pointing to the one between my eyes. He said it was bad for my relationship and love life. Nice..... I always liked that mole! I looked it up before and it's supposed to signify talent and leadership. I would rather have these aspects than love.... for now that is.

If you're interested in looking this psychic up, this is the contact (free advertisement haha):

B and C Company
2332 4612
Big: 9232 9943
Candy: 6092 2876

I might go sometime, but I need someone to listen for me because even though he's Thai, he speaks only in Cantonese.

Cheese found out she was going to be married into wealth and would not have to work. She obviously was ecstatic and was smiling from ear to ear the whole time. She will have a son too.
The psychic told her she had to dress more like "Barbie" (pink and cute) to get the guys. Cheese will find love in April-June this year. Let's see if that happens...

Toby found out she was going to have to work, and that her current boyfriend was good enough and she shouldn't look for "something better" Obviously, she wasn't as happy about her future as Cheese. Also, the psychic told her to watch for her health, because some complications might come up soon.... creepy...

I don't know if I want to hear things like that....should I go do it? The price is 380HKD for him and his colleague to read your fortune. They give a good quality read, about 30-40 minutes. Remember, book 3-4 weeks in advance!
Ridiculous dog on the side of the road. So fat and stubby! look at those legs. After I took a picture, the owner looked at me all offended as I was laughing and told her dog to get up and they walked away. ahahah
Delicious Hong Kong-style BBQ meal. Kathy loved it when she visited Hong Kong. I really love food here!
Andora invited me to her house for dinner. She thought I would like to have a Family style dinner since I've been away from home. Very thoughtful of her and her family. They certainly cooked up an amazing meal. The dog of the house, Cody (who Andora's husband calls "the true owner of the house" since he's so bossy) was very cute, although a bit aggressive. If you shake your finger at him and he doesn't know you, he WILL bite you. Almost like he's saying "Who the fuck do you think YOU are?" hahaha. Here Andora is telling him to sit so she will give him a treat. He def. is obedient when a treat is involved. Whenever I ate something, he would growl at me because they said he thinks I'm stealing his food. Cody is like me, in dog form.
Andora's lovely cooked dinner!! simply amazing!
Mr. Lam, Andora, and I. She gave me a few pointers on my performance and singing, and I was grateful for her advice. She is really straight-forward about it, which is really refreshing. She said, "I would always rather people tell me the truth of what they thought than hear people say "oh, good job, good job". This is more real, and it will help you more."

She is certainly right about that.

4 comments:

  1. lol, i like how your tag for this post is "death." what about "crafts" "sham shui po" and "singing?" those are all in these!

    I LOVE how you take lots of photos. I want to travel a lot, but sadly I have no money and no time :(. But now I feel like I am in Hong Kong with you!

    Okay, quick notes that I want to say that I can't fit into proper transitioning sentences:

    1. I def read about the high levels of air pollution in the news! Do you wear a SARS mask or anything when you go out?
    2. I think its really awesome that you are so famous! I sometimes think I would like to be, but I get really self conscious when people give me compliments to begin with...so I would probably be really lame if I started seeing myself on television screens :P. Maybe we could hear one of your original songs or see how you are inspired to write one of them?
    3. WHEN I come visit, we are def going to Sham Shui Po! A whole street full of craft stuff? Yes! The brick stores here are so lame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . Our pork ramen is better. :P

    <3 You. When will you come eat it and visit me?!?!?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am quite interested at listening what your recommended fortune teller said...

    ReplyDelete
  4. that just a fat ass dog. i feel sorry for his legs.

    also, miki we have to coordinate a visit together! i want to go to sham shui po toooooooo. looks like my kind of place.

    i should really be more diligent about my blog. blaaah

    ReplyDelete