Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Porcupine

I'll warn you now, this may be a long post, but I'll try to entertain you with pictures along the way for those of you who are still at a preschool mentality.
Also, I am not the best person at keeping my thoughts on track, so when there's a subject change, I'll use "***" as an indication for you to change gears as well. Also, if you're growing bored of a subject, just skip to the next ***.

*** SOoooo, reading more fashion magazines, and getting inspiration from my buddy, Quan Mai-Honestly, you have to check out his work/fashion/blog, he's really talented and inspiring (http://geneticboi.blogspot.com) on doing-it-yourselfness, I suddenly had the urge to start making my own necklaces. I always wanted to find cool necklaces, but I never know where to look for them. Finally, I thought to myself, "why don't I just make them myself?" hahaha....yeah........not as easy as it seems. I still have much to learn about making things more aesthetically pleasing and not hurting my fingers in the process (two minor injuries). Well, after 6 (pathetic) long hours of trying, I finally made two necklaces. Here they are:

My legs are skinnier! lol These beads were a b*tch to sequence

The above is actually an old necklace I use to have. The first time I got it (it was a gift from someone) I looked at it in the box and said "oh...thannnkss" with force, since I actually thought it was THE ugliest necklace I had ever seen. Then I started to wear it, and for some reason grew really attached to it (what can I say? I make things look good --vomit here--) I've broken this necklace TWICE and this is the third time reviving it. That's how much I love this necklace. And for those of you that are wondering, I'm not religious, or even Christian, but that shouldn't stop me from supporting Jesus, fashionably, right? Anyways, putting these damn beads in sequence was more of a hassle than you might think. I kept dropping it after finally completing putting the beads on the string (2 times and nearly screamed), but I'm quite happy with the turn out.


***The "SRONG" letters were an original idea for a necklace. Will it be corny to have your name on a necklace though? I hesitated with that idea in mind, so that project is on hold....
*** The necklace here was inspired from one I saw in Men's Nonno (Japanese fashion) magazine. I never know where to put my sunglasses when I'm inside, so this necklace will be the perfect place to put my shades when I'm indoors. The ring was only like $1.15, so this wasn't too expensive or hard to make, but I like that it is practical.

This is another chain I bought. I don't really know what to do with it yet. Any suggestions?
Making jewelry is such a hassle, but very fun at the same time. Still, cleaning up and looking for runaway beads wasn't the top of my list of favorite past-times. I know my necklaces are a bit "meh" right now, but I'm sure I'll get better with practice!

*** I really want a dog. A big dog. No little ones like Chihuahuas and such. I think a big dog like a husky, Lab (preferably black), or a Japanese Shiba would be ideal.

Something about having a cool looking dog walking besides you makes you look 10 points cooler.
I don't think guys should get little dogs, it just looks weird when you're walking with them outside! But then again, Hong Kong isn't very convenient to have a big dog, so I'm gonna wait until I know for sure what I'm doing in my life and have a stable income and bigger place.
I'll leave this portion of the post with a picture of my friend's uber cool dog, Brownie. HUGE dog, but extremely friendly. My dream dog.



*** I am currently on the journey of writing my first complete song. I have the musical part down. Now I just have to make the lyrics for it. I'm trying to avoid a love song, and go for a more meaningful song. I don't have anything against love songs, since 95% of songs are about love, but I just don't want it to be "just another sappy song". Some lyrics in Mandarin are SO corny, they could make you puke corn.
I'll post my song when I'm done so you guys can critique!

*** So Wednesday, I had a break from personal training, so I decided to visit the Hong Kong Science and History museum with my friend, Corrina. It was really fun, interesting, and educational. Although the Science museum had me all paranoid about germs since kids are EVERYWHERE touching EVERYTHING.
My friend Corrina! Playing some weird Work-safety game. Why do kids need to know this? There was also this extremely difficult "Know JAVA programming" quiz. We got 8 out of 20 right. Java, definitely not our forte.
Having fun in the mirror room
You can see how it's like to be a hamster. I really just posted this picture so you can check out my butt. That takes a lot of working out!
Looking at DNA and a Clock ball contraption that goes into motion on the hour.

OHhhh.....what is THIS dirty picture?? Actually, little kids who have pure minds see dolphins. We adults obviously aren't on the same boat on that one....

Man! That's a lot of people! We sure don't waste time (just resources and space) Honestly, am I the only one that thinks it's too crowded nowadays?
Corrina behind an insect head. You can peer through and "see" how an insect sees. Just be happy you're not a bug. Their eye sight sucks!

The entrance to the Hong Kong History Museum

Replica of the Lei Cheng Uk Han Tomb they found in Tsuen Wan in 1958. Said to have dated back to AD 24-220. I'm not sure if that attraction is open to the public, but if it is, I'm gonna go take a look one day. I think tombs are so fascinating! I wanna have my own so people 1000 years from now can find me, and I'll leave a little note on my tomb saying "WHAT'S UP, FUTURE?"
A Bun Mountain, 10 metres high and seen on Cheung Chau Island during the Bun Festival. People used to climb up these mountains to try and grab the tallest buns for good luck until 1978, a bun mountain toppled over and they decided it was too dangerous from then on and stopped the tradition. (wah wah wahhhh). Now they have a wussy version of climbing bun mountains with harnesses and the like.
Pretending to work in the farms.
An old fashion farmer's raincoat. Imagine that on the runways."It's so real!" They had a fake lil' flame going
Back in the day, Irons used to be filled with Charcoal to heat it up.
There's something about the time period of China when the British started colonizing that I find really intriguing. I like watching movies with this theme. It's a clash of the East and West culture and there's a unique beauty of two cultures mingling and the result of that combination, but also there's a beauty to the East desperately trying to preserve its culture in the midst of a new culture. I know it was oppression, but the culture that resulted was really bizarre. Just seems strangely romantic. The shot with Corrina is an old-school Eastern medicine pharmacy and the right shot is a tea-house.

This was the era of the 70s. There was a little mock theater with old-school movie posters and even an old B&W slapstick comedy playing. Nothing to our modern humor meter was detected onscreen, but some of the people watching (all old people who were obviously reminiscing) were laughing the whole time. It was quite bizarre.... and take a load of the flash on that camera! haha Man. I can't wait for the day when people start making fun of the cameras and gadgest in our era. I will feel sooo old. But I can already at least imagine them making fun of the name "iPad." Seriously, Apple?

Finally, I conclude my post with my new potential nickname. 豪 is the last letter of my name in Chinese and 豬 literally means "pig." Since everyone calls me "fatty" and "fatass" I saw this name and Corrina and I both thought it would be a suitable nickname for me. "豪豬" (Hao Zhu).....hm...... Porcue.....porky...


4 comments:

  1. I love the jewelry! You totally look like a Men's NonNo model with it, too. :) If you really get into jewelry-making, you should open a shop on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! the history museum looks radical!! that tomb seems very interesting, I'm glad you are looking into more of the past so you have a better understanding of the ground you're on.

    The beads necklace is not such a good idea to do it by hand, you have to pin point which would be easiest in process, but with effortlessly cool result.

    when in doubt, you can always layer up to 5-6 of different chains, it will be very chic with a monotone outfit, or simple/muted color outfit.

    AND THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING MY BLOG!! hahah you didn't have too, but that was sweet! I'll will definitely continue to do my thing and inspire people to do theirs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its awesome that you are making your own jewelry! It *is* such a pain getting all the beads in place though. My desk is filled with stray beads and loose jump rings! I think you did really great for your first time! Perfectly wearable pieces!

    As for getting a large dog...I heard japanese Shiba's were aggressive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta give you the rest of the pictures!!!Keep writing, i LOVE reading blogs! Oh this is Corrina

    ReplyDelete